Header image  
of Mountain View, CA  
   : HOME  ::What are Enrolled Agents

Do I need a paid preparer?

If you have the time and the inclination you will find that using tax preparation software can make a tedious and sometimes confusing task easier. 

If you have a business, are in a partnership, derive income from real estate, have stock options, are subject to the alternative minimum tax, or are facing an audit, you should consider seeking help.

Enrolled Agents are tax professionals, licensed by the IRS, who specialize in all aspects of tax preparation and planning. 

Free Alternatives:

During tax season, AARP volunteers are offering tax assistance at the Mountain View Senior Center (266 Escuela) on Tuesdays and Wednesdays.  You must call (650) 903-6330 to set up an appointment.

Some tax preparation companies are offering free e-filing through the internet. There are restrictions. YOU MUST go through the IRS or California Franchise Tax Board (FTB) web sites. Most have income or other restrictions. The web sites have the details.  Be aware that some offer free Federal e-filing,  but charge a fee to file a state return.

You can get forms and walk in assistance from the IRS office at 55 S. Market in downtown San Jose (corner of Post Street). 

The national IRS phone assistance number is 1-800-829-1040.  (For business help 1-800-829-4933)

Though generally knowledgeable, they are often looking at the same publications that you have access to.



  by Richard Dulin.  contact 650-965-3414